Some quotes about photography
“Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen.
Nothing is at last sacred but the integrity of your own mind.”
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Quotes are always a source of insight, amusement and irony.
This post is definitely a work in progress… relevant quotes welcomed please!
- I take many of my images when I am not really thinking, when I just exist in the moment much the same when I write a song. Creation takes a life of it’s own.
I spend most of my time trying to get out of my own way.
“All I can do in my writing is to stimulate a certain amount of thought, clarify some technical facts and date my work. But when I preach sharpness, brilliancy, scale, etc., I am just mouthing words, because no words can really describe those terms and qualities it takes the actual print to say: Here it is.”
- Everyday is a gift. I am amazed I can do this for a living. (As a photojournalist)
- The camera is simply a tool I use.
- Nature is so powerful, so strong. Capturing its essence is not easy – your work becomes a dance with light and the weather. It takes you to a place within yourself.
- When I take photographs I am invisible
- A photograph is usually looked at – seldom looked into.
- A photograph is a secret about a secret. The more it tells you the less you know.
- Black and white are the colors of photography. To me they symbolize the alternatives of hope and despair to which mankind is forever subjected.
- there is certain kinds of stories that lend themselves to digital photography. Some things are very raw stories that digital photography kind of lends itself to.
- The camera can photograph thought.
- Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again.
- The negative is the equivalent of the composer’s score, and the print the performance.
- My portraits are more about me than they are about the people I photograph.
- I hate cameras. They are so much more sure than I am about everything.
- Buying a Nikon doesn’t make you a photographer. It makes you a Nikon owner. Author Unknown
- Photography deals exquisitely with appearances, but nothing is what it appears to be.
- Actually, I’m not all that interested in the subject of photography. Once the picture is in the box, I’m not all that interested in what happens next. Hunters, after all, aren’t cooks.
- Sometimes I enjoy just photographing the surface because I think it can be as revealing as going to the heart of the matter.